We Made the Leap

Some of you are going to freak out!

Are you ready?

Here it is.

Tuesday was Tater's last day at preschool. We have decided to homeschool!

The most common reaction to this news is the open mouth stare/gasp. So, I am assuming that you readers will have the same reaction. Resume breathing and close your mouth.

This has not been a quick or easy decision to make. We have been praying about homeschooling for some time now. Last weekend I finally got peace about it, so we did it.

Our city is a huge homeschooling community. We will have plenty of support. We are going to join a local support group and possibly a local co-op. I am looking to them for advise on curriculums, field trips...

Ah, yes. What about socialization? Tater will still attend Sunday School, Kid's Church, ballet lessons, MOPS meetings, La Leche League meetings, birthday parties, and playdates. I am thinking about some sort of music class. I need to discuss that with yardboy $$$.

This week has been fun. We worked on letters (focusing on L), counting, sorting, writing, patterns, time, calendar, and many other things. We even got to meet Curious George at the library. I used various books from our personal collection, as well as workbooks I ordered over a year ago from a friend who sells Usborne Books.

Since we haven't decided on a particular curriculum, I picked up the Five in a Row homeschool curriculum at the library (my new favorite hangout). Basically, you focus on one piece of classic children's literature for five days in a row. You draw all subjects from that work. Tater and I read The Rag Coat, by Lauren Mills tonight. It will be the book we focus on next week. I am looking forward to having Tater make a "quilt" as an art project.

I am open to suggestions, especially from all of the teachers out there. I also appreciate your prayers.

Comments

Sunny said…
Totally go for it. As long as you get yourself in a good group and keep her around kids you are doing fine.

I am a strong believer of public school curriculum verses christian school stuff. You can always add the Bible stuff into what you are teaching.

I have no help on the preschool level though. Keep us posted!
Curly said…
Thany you so much for your support and suggestions!

You make a good point about curriculum. We will choose carefully.

We will be going to the co-op meeting next Tuesday and to the T.E.A.C.H. group at the end of this month.

I'll keep you posted.

Again, thanks.
Abi said…
I usually don't comment on stranger's blogs, but found yours via a friend of a friend. I was homeschooled, so I am excited for your kids. I also am now a teacher, so if you have any questions or need ideas, feel free to leave them via my blog!
Curly said…
Abi,
Thanks so much. I will.

Popular posts from this blog

Attention Fellow Homeschoolers

Celebrating Recovery on New Year's Eve

How Do I Find a Healthy Balance?