Going to the Specialists
Little Man is an adorable 20 month old with a great smile, tons of blond hair, and big blue eyes. He is also really, really small. At his 18 month checkup he weighed 18 pounds 3 ounces and wore size 6-9 month clothing. He is growing, just very, very slowly. Thankfully, he is developing perfectly. Currently, he weighs about 19 pounds and most of his clothes are size 12 months. When I took him in for his 18 month visit I expected to get a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist to check for growth hormone deficiency. We made that appointment for January 31. What I didn't expect at that visit was a referral to a pediatric cardiologist. Little Man's pediatrician hadn't heard any abnormal heart sounds before. This time he heard a heart murmur. Little Man seems to have no cardiac symptoms. He runs and plays just fine. His color is perfectly pink. I expect the cardiologist to say that the murmur is not a big deal, and that he will grow out of it. We made that appointment for Janu...


Comments